Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Dog Electrocuted on Seattle Sidewalk

Sammy was electrocuted during a Thanksgiving Day walk on Seattle's Queen Anne Hill.

Seattle City Light is apologizing to a Queen Anne neighborhood family whose dog was electrocuted Thanksgiving Day while on a walk along a city sidewalk. Lisa McKibben tells KCPQ-TV she wasn't sure what had happened at first:

“I couldn't tell because he was just convulsing so much and just screeching I didn't know what was happening and I was screaming for someone to help me,” said McKibbin.

Her dog Sammy had stepped on a metal plate at the base of a street light.

City Light is investigating and has disconnected power to the light. McKibben thinks stray voltage is to blame. A utility spokeswoman tells KOMO:

"What we have determined is that it is a circuitry issue at the location and it could be a matter of a grounding wire," the City Light spokewoman said.

McKibben has created a blog about the incident, saying she's filed a claim and a police report. 

Check out Q13's report: