Gov. Gregoire announces next steps on ocean acidification
SEATTLE (AP) — Gov. Chris Gregoire has signed an executive order directing state officials to work on the problem of ocean acidification.
The governor is also recommending $3.3 million in her proposed budget to address top recommendations made by an expert panel she called to study the issue.
Acidification is caused when oceans absorb human-generated carbon dioxide. It has hit the shellfish industry in the Northwest hard.
There are six categories of recommendations outlined inthe blue ribbon panel’s summary report.
- Increase our ability to adapt to and remediate the impacts of ocean acidification
- Reduce local land-based Contributions
- Reduce Carbon Dioxide Emissions
- Maintain a Sustainable and Coordinated Focus on Ocean Acidification
- Inform, Educate and Engage Stakeholders, the Public and Decision Makers in Addressing Ocean Acidification
- Invest in Washington’s Ability to Monitor and Investigate the Effects of Ocean Acidification