Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

What should the agency in charge of marijuana licensing be called?

Now that Washington voters have put the State Liquor Control Board in charge of coming up with the rules and process for licensing the growing and selling of marijuana, we're wondering what the agency's new name should be.

The state board has been asked this question quite a bit, according to Mikhail Carpenter, a spokesman for the board, but it has not taken up the issue. However, the agency has set up a special page for information about legal cannabis, and it plans to update the page as it tackles the issues and rulemaking related to implementation of Initiative 502.

Here's the board's official statement on the passage of I-502 in case you missed it:

The Washington State Liquor Control Board will move forward to carry out the will of the voters who Tuesday passed Initiative 502.
I-502 establishes precedent for growing, processing, retailing and possessing marijuana. Essentially, a system will be built from the ground up. The initiative provides the WSLCB until December 1, 2013 to craft rules for implementation. We expect that it will take the full year to craft the necessary rules which will provide the framework for the new system. As we develop the rules we will keep in mind our top priority, public safety.

We, however, are jumping right to the issue of naming the agency – What do you think the board's official name be now?