KNKX IS HAVING AN OPEN HOUSE!
Please join us Saturday, Sept. 7 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at our new Tacoma studios located at 930 Broadway. We're throwing a block party between 9th and 11th on Broadway with live music, studio tours, food trucks, a beer garden and more. The event is free and open to the public. We hope you can come and help us celebrate as KNKX embarks on the next major chapter in our journey of independence.
We've come a long way since 2016 when we became your independent, community-licensed station, KNKX. With that newfound independence, KNKX has connected with more communities and listeners across the region than ever before.
A big part of that commitment is establishing a presence in downtown Tacoma, in the center of the city's Theatre District, surrounded by Tacoma Arts Live venues, Tacoma School of the Arts, the Broadway Farmers Market and a beautiful park. Here —in KNKX's new 7,625-square-foot studios in the historic C.N. Gardner Building — we'll invite the community in for live music, civic discourse and events, and mentor South Sound students in journalism and storytelling.
KNKX's new studios allow us to grow our presence in Tacoma, expand our ability to cover the entire region, and deepen our relationships with organizations and businesses in Tacoma.
- 10 a.m.: Live taping of KNKX's Sound Effect program
- 11 a.m. music: Johnaye Kendrick Quartet on the plaza next to Theatre on the Square
- Noon: Opening remarks on the stage in front of KNKX's studios — including KNKX President and General Manager Joey Cohn, KNKX South Sound Reporter Will James, Tacoma Mayor Victoria Woodards, and State Representative Jake Fey (27th District). Connie McCloud from the Puyallup Tribe will offer a special blessing.
- 1 p.m. music: Kareem Kandi Band on the plaza
- 2 p.m. music: Bill Ramsay Quartet on the plaza
We'll also have performances by students from Tacoma's School of the Arts.
Stop by the KNKX booth and purchase raffle tickets for fantastic prizes including:
- A nine-course dinner at the iconic culinary retreat, The Herbfarm in Woodinville
- A trip for two to the 2020 Portland Jazz Festival
- Your chance to win a glass blowing lesson by Hilltop Artists students for you and nine friends
- An invitation to attend a group pottery class at Roost at Roddy Creek in Puyallup
- A ticket package provided by Tacoma Arts Live plus a gift card to the new McMenamins Elk Temple in Tacoma
Thanks to our event partners: