- 1 package of quail eggs (available at Asian supermarkets everywhere), hard-boiled
- 1 pound of Italian bulk sausage (spicy or mild, you decide)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- water, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel eggs. Divide sausage into 10 segments, each about the size of a golf ball. Pound each sausage segment, one by one, between two sheets of plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Dip each boiled egg in water, then flour, and place in the center of the flattened sausage sections. Cover the egg completely with the sausage, pinching ends together at the top, then gently roll it into a “meatball.”
- Dip each meatball into beaten egg, roll the meatball in the breadcrumbs and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with Dijon or Chinese-style mustard or Trader Joe’s Spicy Tomato Chutney.